Access to Yamagata, and to the Conference Venue
From Airports to Yamagata station via train
Train connection search
- Train time table in Japan is reliable.
It is recommended to make a plan beforehand, and purchase all
the tickets at the airport.
Japan Transit Planner - type in "From"
(Narita-Airport, Haneda-Airport International Terminal (Keikyu),
Haneda-Airport International Terminal (Monorail), etc), "To"
(Yamagata), Date and time of your departure.
From Narita Airport through Tokyo station (easiest)
- Narita airport → Tokyo : 58 min; Tokyo → Yamagata :
2h 47 min (by Shinkansen bullet train).
- You can buy a single ticket to Yamagata at Narita airport.
- 10 min+ walk is needed in the large Tokyo station.
From Narita Airport through Nippori/Ueno (less walk)
- Narita airport → Nippori : 40 min; Nippori to Ueno
: 3 min ; Ueno → Yamagata : 2h 39 min (by Shinkansen bullet train)
- One extra local commuting train just for one stop, but it could
be ultra-crowded in rush hour in the morning and evening
From Narita Airport through Ueno (more frequent connections)
- Narita airport → Keisei-Ueno : 45 min; Keisei-Ueno to Ueno
: 20 min walk; Ueno → Yamagata : 2h 39 min
- Faster and cheaper, but need a walk between two Ueno stations
- If flight is late and has to stay a night, staying at Ueno is
probably more convenient than Tokyo
From Haneda Airport using Monorail or Keikyu line
- (Monorail and Yamanote line) Haneda Airport International
Terminal → Hamamatsu-cho → Tokyo, then Tokyo to Yamagata
by Shinkansen bullet train
- (Keikyu and Yamanote line) Haneda Airport International
Terminal → Shinagawa → Tokyo, then Tokyo to Yamagata
by Shinkansen bullet train
Alternative: through Sendai station via train + bus
- Train from Tokyo/Ueno to Sendai and then a bus from Sendai to
Yamagata is another option.
- Bus runs every 10-15 minutes and takes about 1 hour.
- Pros: train to Sendai is more frequent and much faster and could
fully compensate the time for the bus trip, and usually more
robust against natural disasters.
- Cons: one extra transfer, about 1,000 yen extra cost, and the
chance to lose time by looking for the bus stop at Sendai
- How to find the bus stop in Sendai: get out West gate, walk
across the bridge towards the "Aoba" street right-side of the big
building with "Loft" shop sign, and find the bus stop 22 on the
left side of the street. If you find a bus terminal with many
bus stops with smaller numbers, it must be a wrong place
(left-side of Loft).
- Where to get off the bus: you may find the English sign if you
keep watching the display or you may hear the English announcement
if you keep listening, but they may be easily missed. Anyway the
train station will look like a train station and you won't miss.
Extra stay in Tokyo
- Depending on the flight schedule, it may be necessary to make
an extra stay near the Narita airport, Tokyo station, or Ueno station.
- One can easily book hotels using Expedia, booking.com or other
similar site of your choice.
- Booking sites run by Japanese companies, such as Rakuten or
Jalan may have more offers than international ones
- Booking hotels in Tokyo could be less easier than booking
hotels in Yamagata because of recent increasing tourist
traffic to Tokyo
From Yamagata Airport
- There are two domestic flights a day (JAL) from Haneda to Yamagata
- If the flight schedule matches your flight, this may be a good
- There is an airport shuttle between Yamagata Airport and
- Car rental is not recommended at least during the
conference, but it may be useful for sightseeing around
Yamagata after the conference
- For students, the night bus from Tokyo to Yamagata will be the
extreme cost saving travel option
Within Yamagata: Station, Hotels and the Conference Venue
- Conference venue (Yamagata Terrsa) is just a few minutes walking
distance from the west gate of Yamagata station.
- Some construction work is on-going near the venue and station.
Information on actual walking route will be provided later
- There are many hotels in both west and east sides of the
- There are many restaurants, mostly in the east side of the
station. One can go through the station building from/to east
- Hotel booking will be offered in the registration page, but you
can also book by yourself
Conference venue: Yamagata Terrsa